Motor Vehicle Registration

You can now re-register online! Click the icon below to access Rapid Renewal!

Rapid Renewal Icon
The Town of Rangeley is an agent for the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, and is authorized to process the following vehicle registrations.

Renewal Registrations
The office is authorized to issue renewal registrations for:
  • Antique autos
  • Automobiles
  • Combination vehicles
  • Firefighter
  • Handicapped
  • Horseless carriages
  • Mobile homes
  • Mopeds

  • Motorcycles
  • Special equipment
  • Special mobile equipment
  • Stock cars
  • Street rods
  • Tractors
  • Trailer
  • Trucks registered for up to 26,000 lbs gross weight
Below is a list of the things you must provide at the time of your registration renewal:
  • Proof of insurance
  • Prior registration
  • Current mileage
New Registrations
The following are the new registrations that the office is authorized to issue:
  • Automobiles
  • Motorcycles
  • Mopeds
  • Motor Homes
  • Trailers
  • Mobile Homes
  • Farm Tractors
  • Farm Trucks
  • Commercial Trucks
We maintain a variety of specialty plates, including:
  • Conservation (Loon)
  • Veteran
  • Lobster
  • University of Maine
  • Maine Black Bear
  • Agricultural
  • Support Wildlife
  • Support Your Troops
  • Breast Cancer
  • Antique
  • Animal Welfare
  • Purple Heart Plates
There is a 1st time charge of $20 (plus the registration fee $35), or $55 total. Each year at renewal there will be a $15 extra charge, or $50 total. Support Wildlife (Sportsman) plates are $20 extra, or $55 each year. In processing new registrations for vehicles that are bought through a private sale, the town is authorized to collect sales tax and process Maine Title Applications. Below is a list of the things that you must provide at the time of your new registration:
  • A bill of sale that includes the make, serial (or VIN) number, the date of sale, and amount paid. This must be signed by the seller.
  • If the vehicles is 1995 or newer, the title from the former owner is needed, the back must be filled out to the new owner and signed by the former owner.
  • Proof of insurance coverage on the new car, this must show the year, make, and serial (or VIN) number of the car and the expiration date of your policy.
To process a new registration for a vehicle that was bought through a Maine dealer, the following is needed:
  • Application for Maine Title from the dealer
  • Copy of invoice or bill of sale from the dealer showing proof of Sales Tax paid
  • Proof of insurance coverage on the new car (this must show the year, make, and serial (or VIN) number of the car and the expiration date of your policy)
Note: If the vehicle you purchased through a private sale is from New Hampshire and there is no previous title, you must have a notarized bill of sale from the prior owner.

If Moving to Rangeley
Individuals moving to Rangeley from within the state should come to the office and have an address change completed on their vehicle registration (no charge). To have your Driver's License address changed you must contact a branch of the Maine Department of Motor Vehicles.

If you are moving to Rangeley from another state, within 30 days of residency, by state law, you must register your vehicle(s) at the Town Office. Here is a list of things you will need to bring with you:
  • Previous state registration
  • Title to the vehicle from the previous state where you resided, or out of state lien holder information
  • Proof of insurance coverage as required by the State of Maine.
Be aware that the State of Maine does not send a notice reminding you to reregister your vehicle.